Thursday, August 07, 2014

2014 Drafting from the 12th Spot

I have been conducting research on drafting from the 12th spot in a 12 team draft. This includes analyzing stats, as well as conducting mock drafts. I have tried a few different draft strategies and drawn many conclusions. This article should be able to give you advice and a chance to draft a championship team from the 12th spot.

The league I am drafting for features QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR, TE, DEF, and K.

I have conducted many mock drafts in order to prepare for my actual fantasy drafts. I have seen a wide assortment of players get drafted in the eleven picks before mine (the 12th).  I would personally recommend drafting an elite WR and elite running back with your first two picks. The best part about picking 12th is you get two solid players at the end of the first round. This has typically lead me to drafting Dez Bryant and Arian Foster. The following list average draft position data, and shows where players have recently been getting drafted. This can give you an idea of who is available when you pick.



Rank Pick Name Pos Team
1 1.02 LeSean McCoy RB PHI
2 1.02 Jamaal Charles RB KC
3 1.04 Adrian Peterson RB MIN
4 1.04 Matt Forte RB CHI
5 1.05 Calvin Johnson WR DET
6 1.06 Eddie Lacy RB GB
7 1.08 Jimmy Graham TE NO
8 1.09 Demaryius Thomas WR DEN
9 1.09 Peyton Manning QB DEN
10 1.1 Marshawn Lynch RB SEA
11 1.1 Montee Ball RB DEN
12 1.11 Dez Bryant WR DAL
13 2.02 Arian Foster RB HOU
14 2.02 A.J. Green WR CIN
15 2.03 DeMarco Murray RB DAL
16 2.05 LeVeon Bell RB PIT
17 2.05 Julio Jones WR ATL
18 2.05 Brandon Marshall WR CHI
19 2.07 Aaron Rodgers QB GB
20 2.08 Giovani Bernard RB CIN
21 2.08 Drew Brees QB NO
Data accurate as of August 3rd,2014

I believe it is important to snag a running back as well as an elite wide receiver. I could take two running backs or two wide receivers. The reason I choose not to do this is that by doing so I would be losing out on point production at the position I do not choose.
Taking Dez Bryant is a good move. He is in a class of recieiver that provides your team a serious advantage. He resides in what I deem as the top tier of wide receiver. He is ranked fourth on the current Fantasy Pro projections for the year. I believe he has the ability to exceed the projections and possibly be the best wide receiver in the league. The value chart I made has Dez Bryant producing 64.8 points more then the 29th receiver being taken. This link can give you an explanation on Value Based Drafting.  He is a valuable draft pick. Technically Julio Jones is more valuable then Dez Bryant based off Fantasy Pros projections, but I go with Dez because I truly believe he will score more points.


Player FPTS
Calvin Johnson (DET)  228.5
Demaryius Thomas (DEN)  219.4
Julio Jones (ATL)  202.4
Dez Bryant (DAL)  198.2
A.J. Green (CIN)  194.5
Brandon Marshall (CHI)  190.6
Jordy Nelson (GB)  185.1
Alshon Jeffery (CHI)  184.8
Antonio Brown (PIT)  184.7
Randall Cobb (GB)  171.9

Picking Arian Foster (or the best running back available) is an extremely important move to make for your second pick. The alternative to drafting a running back would be drafting a second wide receiver. It is important to snag a quality WR, but grabbing two could be a very ill advised move. This would lead you to rely on lower point producing running backs to anchor your running game. The chart below show the difference in projected points if you were to draft two a WR/RB in the first vs WR/WR in the first.


Player Points
Player Points
Dez Bryant 198.2
Dez Bryant 198.2
Arian Foster 207.6
AJ Green 194.5
Vincent Jackson 166.5
Bishop Sankey 174.5
Bishop Sankey 174.5
Ryan Mathews 168.3
Total 746.8
Total 735.5


It is truly beneficial to draft a top wide receiver and running back with your first two picks. When the time comes for your next set of picks I advise taking a wide receiver and running back once more. My personal suggestion is to take Wes Welker at wide receiver if he is still available. His Average Draft Position has not been very high, although he has been quite a formidable fantasy receiver for many years. You can draft several other talented receivers such as Vincent Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald, Percy Harvin, and Victor Cruz. Take whichever receiver you believe will have the best year. Next I would draft the best running back available. In my recent mock drafts that can be anyone from Andre Ellington, Bishop Sankey, Ryan Mathews, Reggie Bush, CJ Spiller, or Toby Gerhart. Evaluate who you think has the best chance of success this year and draft that player.

My next two picks I choose to take the best receiver available and possibly a QB or Tight End. Bear in mind you should always draft the best player possible. So if the draft you participate in somehow has a very good running back still around at this point draft him. I have been able to draft TY Hilton, Julian Edelman, and even Percy Harvin in the fifth round. If Vernon Davis is still around at this point I am tempted to take him. If Nick Foles is available I take him. Michael Floyd is another receiver I take if still available.There is QB depth in this draft. The core of this article and my advice from the 12th spot is to go WR/RB in the first.

This article provides a basic frame work for drafting from the 12th spot. I personally suggest taking a strong elite WR, as well as a top ten running back in the first round. The following rounds can see you pick your QB whenever you feel is right, however I personally believe it is best to grab another good RB and WR with your second set of picks. Remember to always attempt to draft the best and most valuable player possible, capitalize on the players who slide down to you. The 12th spot is not a bad spot to pick from, it can actually be very advantageous! Good luck!

No comments: